Thursday, September 07, 2006

How to add a new HDD in Linux

In this tutorial, i'm going to tell you about how to add a new HDD in Linux.
In general, first, you have to format your partition and second mount it to a place.

To format, you use mkfs command.
For example:
mkfs.ext3 /dev/hdb1/

To mount, use mount command ( remember to mkdir first )
For example:
mkdir /mnt/my2ndDisk
mount -t ext3 /dev/hdb1 /mnt/my2ndDisk

In case your HDD is not partitioned, you have to use fdisk command to do this as the following example:
fdisk /dev/hdb

If you have any question about this topic, feel free to comment here !

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a small question. By default, which file system does the command fdisk format as? :) Tell me more about its parameters...

Anonymous said...

I have a small question. By default, which file system does the command fdisk format as? :) Tell me more about its parameters...

Anonymous said...

hello
you can see it here:
man fdisk
or
fdisk --help
thanks

Anonymous said...

Oh no no no! I want you to tell me. Don't be lazy like that ^_^